Tuesday, June 19, 2012

DIY Pom Pom Tutorial

Since so many people (3) asked about how I made the Pom Poms here is the how to!
(This is actually because I am obsessed with blogging and I am super proud of how these turned out and not a lot of my pinterest attempts are successes)

You Will Need:
1. Tissue Paper: about 6-8 sheets per pom pom, in whatever colors or designs that you want.  The thinner and softer the easier, but any will work.  I bought some at the dollar store as well as Target and I  didn't really like the dollar stores as much.
2. Floral Wire: Its about $3 at Joanne's and will make infinity Pom Poms
3. Scissors
4. Bandaids: This is optional and might sound weird, but it seriously helps when you are making a few Pom Poms because your fingers start hurting from the folding :)


How long will it take?
The first Pom Pom will take 45minutes to an hour.  Just because you are figuring everything out.  I was mildly distracted and timed myself and I started doing them in 30-40 minutes each.

Step 1

Gather 6-8 (I prefer 8) sheets of tissue paper and align them as perfectly as you can.  Then fold the tissue back in forth into about 1" to 1 1/2" folds.  Like you are making a fan.  When I first started making them I would freak out about the folds being perfect, but as long as they are close to the same size as the previous fold you are good to go.

Another tip also, is that the folds are super important to get a crisp fold.  This is why I suggest bandaids.  I had gotten a paper cut after the first 4 that I made (and my fingers were already feeling raw anyway from pressing so hard) and when I put a bandaid on the paper cut I realized it made the folding go way easier!


Step 2

Cut the flower wire about 16" and fold in half.


You will place that in the middle of your folder tissue paper and twist the ends 4 or 5 times to secure it.


Step 3

Cut the ends of the tissue paper in any design you can imagine.  My go to design was zig zags because its pretty hard to cut through all that tissue and it seemed to be the easiest.


Step 4

Spread both sides of the tissue open like a butterfly.  Then CAREFULLY (but don't freak out if you do end up accidentally ripping the tissue because it won't be visible), pull each individual tissue paper up all the way to start forming the Pom Pom.


When you have lifted and fluffed each sheet you have formed your Pom Pom! Yay!!!  I fluffed mine a lot to make them look pretty :)

The end of the wire will stick up the flat end of the Pom Pom.  You can either hang it from those OR you can tie them into a hook and attach fishing wire to the hook to hang them lower OR you don't even have to hang them, you can put them on a table as a centerpiece or whatever other creative ideas you could think of.

I grouped them in 3's as well as some individuals and had an expert (my friend Tarah) hang mine for me.


The finished result:


And in fast motion:







Send me pictures of your creations, or let me know if you found different ways to decorate with Pom Poms or different techniques you found

No comments:

Post a Comment